Thursday, February 23, 2023

PROPS/MISE-EN-SCEN - 2/23/23

       As the filming days are creeping up on me, it's important that I finalize my setting and my overall plot. For my plot, I've begun storyboarding, which I'm excited to share will you all in the near future. But now, I am working on figuring out what exactly my setting will look like. To do that, I need to determine which props I will be utilizing.

What do props do?

      Props are one of the most important components of a film, they are what fill up the setting and help tell the story without using direct language. It gives the film life and a purpose. Props can also help create a sense of character. By using props that the character uses often and relates to, we can get a deeper understanding of their life and personality. Props can also help create an atmosphere and help give a setting more meaning and more of a story. I visited this website to learn more about props to create my own film opening plans!

Example 1

80's bedroom: 

Posters
  • Posters were a huge deal in the '80s: rock and roll, magazine covers, etc. Whatever you were into, you had a huge poster.

Cabbage Patch Kids
  • Cabbage patch kids were popular among younger girls in the 80's so they would be likely to be seen on their beds or in another place around their rooms.



Example 2

Beach

Towels
  • This is a common prop you would see in a beach setting as they are used to dry off someone who is wet. Most people tend to go to the ocean at the beach.

Sunglasses and sandals
  • Because it's hot and sandy, these are two clothing items commonly used when going to the beach. They are also commonly found in southern states like Florida.

Beach Balls
  • What is a beach without beach balls? Plenty of people play games using beach balls, along with other sports like beach volleyball.

Some of my props

Now that I have a pretty good idea of what props do and should be, I have to choose props of my own:

Good Grade Awards
  • Taylor is studious and shows that she is by placing all of her academic achievements on her wall.
Abstract art painting

  • This painting seems simple; however, it isn't. It appears to be just another painting. But its colorfulness represents how Taylor wants to enjoy the good in life but the abstract placement of color represents how her messy acts cause her to not be able to do so. The meaning may be difficult to grasp at first, but in the end, will make sense.

Clothes
  • There will be random piles of clothes scattered in different places in her room to represent how he carries herself and presents her belongings. 
Papers
  • Similar to the clothes, papers will serve the same purpose as they're scattered throughout the room.


      These props all support Taylor's messy behavior, and her inability to get her life together; at least that is on the outside. She may pretend she has everything together but she doesnt. She puts herself through too much stress and in return, treats her surroundings like they mean nothing to her.


I'll talk to you guys later. Signing off!
- Amanda Margulies




No comments:

Post a Comment

Film Opening - 4/2/23

Here is the link to my two minute film opening! https://youtu.be/qF-pRffSDgc I hope you guys have enjoyed this journey with me. Signing off!...